Importance of Wearing Gloves in a LaboratoryTeam Science Equip
It is always recommended to wear lab safety products while handling science lab equipment. Apart from the appropriate face and headgear, it is also important to put on gloves for protecting your hands.
Here are various reasons why you should wear laboratory gloves:
Safeguard Your Hand Skin
You work with various chemicals and other materials in a science laboratory. Some of these can be hazardous and cause harm to the skin of your hands. You may get infection and contamination if you don’t wear gloves. So, whenever you are handling chemicals, infectious materials, and radioactive substances, Nitrile examination gloves are a must.
When you manage science lab equipment with bare hands, there is a risk that the substances or fluids in them could spill on your hands. They cannot only hurt your skin but also leave stains which may further cause burn or rashes. Gloves can help you prevent such incidents.
Delay the Harmful Effect
As soon as you spill something like blood or any possible infectious liquid on your gloves, you get a few seconds to remove them before they come in contact with your skin and wash your hands. There is always a possibility that these fluids can seep through the gloves to your skin. However, if you are not wearing the gloves, you will be exposed to the harm immediately.
Remember that laboratory gloves can offer you enough protection only when you follow the best practices.
Use the Correct Gloves as Per Application
Each type of gloves has their own compatibility for different applications. For instance,
- Nitrile gloves for chemicals and infectious materials.
- Neoprene gloves for oils and solvents.
- Rubber gloves for mild corrosive materials.
- Coated fabric gloves for moderate concentrate chemicals.
Follow Selection Parameters
- Thicker the glove, more protection it will offer. However, make sure that gloves aren’t thick enough to prevent you from easy handling.
- Depending on the type of science lab equipment and materials you are handling, buy wrist or arm length gloves.
Other Do’s and Don’ts
- Do not touch common items such as telephones, pens, computers, with gloves. Similarly, do not enter common spaces such as workstations, lunch areas or public places when wearing gloves.
- Wash hands immediately after removing the gloves.
- Do not wear gloves for more than two hours.
- Do not reuse disposable gloves. Throw after every use.
- Wash and dry non-disposable gloves at regular intervals. If they are any wear and tear, replace them with the new ones.
If you are looking for appropriate gloves for science laboratory in Australia, get in touch with us. We are giving 20% discount on gloves for the month of October.